Pages

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

It's Hot Outside Baby

I know I am not the only one experiencing these stifling hot temperatures - I heard 34 states, close approaching 40 states across the US, have heat warnings issued.   I try to do most of my work outside very early in the morning and retreat inside during the hottest hours of the day and then return outside late afternoon to check how the garden has taken the heat.   The summer squash is having a heyday going crazy and it looks like some recipes may be arriving shortly.  Beans are not in short supply either - found a sesame flavored bean dish to try tomorrow.
1 1/2 lbs. beans
1 tablespoon sesame seed
2 tablespoon rice or white wine vinegar
2 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Add 1" water to pan and heat to boil, add beans and cook 5 minutes uncovered. Cover and cook 5 minutes longer. Saute in a separate pan the sesame seed 2 minutes stirring often until brown ; then golden brown. Remove from pan. Stir in vinegar, soy sauce, sugar and red pepper. Cook 1-2 minutes longer.  Drain beans and place in a large bowl. Pour sesame mix over beans and toss until evenly coated.

Sounds delicious, doesn't it?  

While out scouting the garden, I spotted 2 bugs I have never seen before - check these guys out!

Both very stunning but this second one caught my eye because I swear that spot looks just like a penny.  I coined him the "penny bug" and saw mention of him in the latest issue of "Organic Gardening".  He's a big ole' bug that preys on other bugs with his hook-like mouth.  It does look very nasty in real life and I bet can really hurt!

When it comes to beetles though, Mr. Cardinal has a different view - dinner!   I watched him jump around trying to catch this bug and managed to snap his victory in a photo.
The American Gold Finches prefer to dine on the sunflower seeds which are developing in the flower now.  I did some research and found two varieties of sunflower that grow really large and produce some giant seeds which are edible for people to eat - so I will be ordering them for next year.  
How cool is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment