Pages

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Garlic Planting Soon

In about 2 weeks I will be planting the garlic for next season - 2012 July harvest.   The time to plant is Fall between September 15 - November 30th.   I like to plant mid-October and have a new location all picked out.   The majority of garlic planted last year came from our place up North and this year all the planting will take place in the new location down South.   
I received 2 new types I will be planting from Seed Savers Exchange this week and they are Music and Siberian both hardnecks.   This will give me a total of six different varieties which include Chrysalis Purple, Chesnok Red (both hardnecks),  Inchelium Red & Chet's Italian (both softnecks).   The hardnecks have bigger cloves and  I am gearing my choice of garlic more towards them since the soil here is clay and presents a challenge right from the start.

I have a small wine cellar like room down in the basement where I have all my garlic stored.  It's dark and cool there and I have chosen the biggest bulbs for planting in the gardens.   If you plan on growing garlic, you do need to place your order real soon.   All of my garlic grown was originally obtained from Seed Savers Exchange.   I still have some for sale at my Zibbet shop on-line or my new Etsy shop.
I will post detailed photos when I plant so if you have a question hopefully this will help.  If you have any questions in the meantime, feel free to ask.
Garlic is easy to grow and maintain.   Planted now it stays in the ground for roughly 9 months and will be harvested in June or early July.
Once you grow your own you will be hooked ... for life!

No comments:

Post a Comment